The Talk of Connecticut
 
Show Rundown for Wednesday, July 15, 2015
0 0

PATRICIA WRICE (Executive Director for Operation Fuel) Operation Fuel and its statewide network of fuel banks have started taking applications for energy assistance from households that are in danger of having their utility services shut off this summer. Currently, there are lower-income families and individuals who face losing their electricity or gas services because they do not have the resources to keep up with the rising cost of energy in Connecticut. Some families have reported needing assistance from Operation Fuel during the summer due to high balances on their utility bills that resulted from trying to keep their homes warm this past winter. The annual winter moratorium, which prevents households from having their utilities shut off, ended on May 1 and doesn’t resume until November 1, 2015. “A home without electricity is hazardous and puts people at risk in hot weather. When families and individuals lose their electricity, they also lose the ability to refrigerate food and medicine, cook meals and have lights and hot water,” explains Operation Fuel’s Executive Director Patricia Wrice.
“Being without a fan or air conditioner in extreme heat can be very dangerous and poses severe health risks, especially for young children, the elderly and those with chronic medical conditions,” Wrice added.
Energy affordability is a year-round problem for nearly 305,000 Connecticut households. Lower-income families and elderly people on fixed incomes are more vulnerable to high energy costs, which represent a significant household expense and impact their ability to pay for food, housing, health care and other basic necessities. WEBSITE: Operation Fuel

DAVID PAUL KUHN (Political Journalist Covering Foreign Politics and Author of the upcoming book "What Makes It Worthy") Iran, The United States and its negotiating partners finally reached agreement Tuesday on a deal that would curb Iran's nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief -- setting up a looming showdown between President Obama and Congress, where lawmakers could take issue with several provisions, including one giving Iran leverage over inspections. Speaking from the White House, Obama claimed the deal meets "every single one of the bottom lines" from a tentative agreement struck earlier this year. "Every pathway to a nuclear weapon is cut off," Obama said, claiming it provides for extensive inspections. "This deal is not built on trust. It is built on verification." Yet that very issue could be the primary sticking point going forward. While some members of Congress had urged comprehensive inspections of Iran's nuclear sites, the deal in hand gives Iran much leverage over that process. The agreement requires international inspectors to ask Iran's permission first, after which Iran has 14 days to decide whether to grant it. If not, the same group of nations that struck the deal would have another 10 days to make their decision about what to do next. While the international group may have final say, the set-up essentially gives Iran 24 days to drag out the process, though officials say this is not enough time to hide all evidence of illicit conduct.

DR. MIKE FENSTER (Cardiologist) Entresto tablets have been approved for the treatment of heart failure. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved Entresto tablets for the treatment of heart failure. The drug has been shown to reduce the rate of cardiovascular death and hospitalization related to heart failure, according to the agency. "Heart failure is a leading cause of death and disability in adults," said Dr. Norman Stockbridge, M.D., Ph.D., director of the Division of Cardiovascular and Renal Products in FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. "Treatment can help people with heart failure live longer and enjoy more active lives. FDA reported the most common side effects in clinical trial participants being treated with Entresto were low blood pressure, high blood potassium levels, and poor kidney function.

FOX News Radio’s JESSICA GOLLOHER (Live for Jerusalem) The newly announced Iran nuclear deal and the negotiations leading up to it already are fueling an all-but-declared nuclear arms race in the Middle East, according to current and former government officials who say the situation also creates an opening for Russia to exert more influence in the region. "We have given Iran the path it has been seeking for almost 35 years. The other states in the region are not going to sit idly by, which is why in effect the nuclear arms race is already underway," former U.N. Ambassador and Fox News contributor John Bolton said, adding that Iran and other nations have used civilian nuclear energy programs as cover for covert enrichment programs. The Obama administration announced the deal along with other world powers early Tuesday morning. The terms call for suspending and curbing components of Iran's nuclear program in exchange for valuable sanctions relief. But in the last six months, Russia has struck three significant nuclear deals with long-time U.S. Middle East allies, effectively capitalizing on regional distrust of Iran.

FOX News Radio's LIS WIEHL BATTLE OVER S.F. COUPLE'S FROZEN EMBRYOS HEADS TO COURT Just 10 days before her wedding in September 2010 to financial analyst Stephen Findley, San Francisco anesthesiologist Mimi Lee was diagnosed with breast cancer. The couple was eager to start a family, but realized that a combination of Lee's cancer treatments and her age - she was 41 at the time - would probably make her infertile, so they created five embryos through in vitro fertilization and had them frozen. Lee recovered and felt ready to start a new life, but she sensed hesitance on her husband's part. The marriage unraveled and, in December 2013, Findley filed for divorce. But Lee said she was shocked when Findley told her he wanted the embryos destroyed, potentially robbing her of her only remaining chance to have biological children. AFTER HIS MEDICAL RECORDS WERE LEAKED, NEW YORK GIANTS DEFENSIVE END JASON PIERRE-PAUL IS EXPECTED TO TAKE LEGAL ACTION. Jason Pierre-Paul is expected to legal action against Jackson Memorial Hospital after his medical records were leaked, showing details of a severe hand injury incurred by the Giants' pass rusher as a result of a fireworks incident. According to Bleacher Report, sources close to Pierre-Paul said he is expected to file a lawsuit. The records, which described his finger amputation, skin grafts and other injuries, were obtained by ESPN reporter Adam Schefter, who shared an image of it on Twitter. MAN FINED FOR LIVING WITH 2 DEER AT HIS HOME A West Virginia man has paid dearly for keeping two deer at his home. Ronnie Chapman of Ona, a rural community about 25 miles west of the state capital, Charleston, says he found a deer bleeding to death in his yard a couple of years ago and nursed it back to health. "I don't see where I've hurt anything or done anything wrong, but I sure paid for it" after paying a $300 fine.

·
Like
  • 0